Dr. McCubbins Partner Plan
- Over 10 years clinical experience as a primary care physician
- Expert in natural fertility solutions
- Undergraduate degree from University of Wisconsin- Madison: Dietetics
- Doctorate degree from National University of Natural Medicine: Portland, OR
- Honors in Research: Detoxification Methods
- Published Research: “Detoxification Diets: Three Pilot Studies.” Townsend Journal. Feb-Mar, 2013.
A Note from Alicia
Holistic fertility support doesn’t just treat eggs and sperm. Creating new life requires supporting the health of both you and your partner’s entire bodies.
I know this journey can be challenging, emotional, alienating, even hopeless at times. I’ve been there. I know how important it is to have a doctor who cares and understands.
It is an honor to support fertility patients like yourself as you find balance in your body. For me, professionally, there is no greater pleasure than to hear you’ve received the ultimate gift: a healthy baby.
That’s why I am passionate about helping you to conceive, even when the odds are stacked against you.
My own “infertility” journey
I’m not just a doctor with expertise in natural fertility solutions. What makes me different is my own struggle with fertility.
I know with real first-hand experience: a fertility struggle is a struggle–emotionally, physically, and relationally.
The irony here is that, like so many couples, I spent the majority of my adult life trying not to get pregnant, while focusing on my education and career.
Finally, we were ready. You know the feeling.
And… no baby.
I became desperate, motivated, and willing to do anything and everything to get pregnant.
The steps I took are the steps I’ve walked countless others through
But not just anything would have worked. I had the knowledge and training to choose a scientifically-backed approach to fertility.
- I cleaned up my diet. I had been gluten-free and dairy-free already, but I buckled down and made it a priority to follow an anti-inflammatory approach. I cut out all processed foods and decreased my sugar. I cut back on the booze and focused on eating more vegetables at every meal.
- I kept moving. By walking every day, primarily in the woods, I was able to process mental stressors. Those walks also gave me fresh air and strengthened my glutes and hips, so I would be ready for a pregnancy. I continued my hot yoga practice which again, kept my head straight even though I was battling the depression of not being able to get pregnant. Hot yoga was ideal for me as it upped my detoxification pathways, too.
- I released emotions. I used every method possible: through exercise, journaling, or talking to friends and family. Pent-up emotion serves no one.
- I tested my hormones regularly every 6 months. I had estrogen dominance, a common presentation that many women have. Progesterone is necessary to balance estrogen levels, but it is easily compromised by stress. Progesterone is important to fertility, because it prepares the uterus for implantation of egg and sperm. I began supplementing my progesterone levels.
- I took a lot of supplements. I am quite lucky that I have the training and resources to try multiple different avenues to increase my chances at fertility. I do believe that they all had a place and had an impact, but the most profound impact (for me) was with high-quality fish oils and ovarian supportive herbs.
- I made my husband get on-board. He is resistant to the medical model (but married me!). He took the supplements I gave him and, though reluctantly, had his semen tested. He focused on eating well and staying active, and honed in on his passion of archery for mental-emotional health. I do wonder if his getting food poisoning at a world tournament (don’t eat seafood in Vegas) was the golden ticket to detoxification for healthier semen. I was pregnant 3 weeks later.
- I sought out help from other health providers. I was privileged to be able to get a massage and energy work every month. I started working with an acupuncturist to help get me out of my head and stop controlling the entire process.
What was the result of going through the last of all seven steps? I was pregnant one month later. I know that there wasn’t one single thing that led to pregnancy. All of it worked together in harmony.
In retrospect, I wish I had gotten my husband tested immediately to foster a 50:50 approach. I should not have carried the burden alone for so long. I also wish I had seen a counselor or gone to Resolve meetings (that is, if I lived near a group). Ultimately, I wish I had asked for help sooner.
What could your natural fertility journey look like?
My education and experience as a Naturopathic Doctor empowered me with the knowledge I needed to troubleshoot my fertility journey. I knew to treat the whole human body.
Instead of giving in to the idea that we were infertile, I looked for the root cause that was stopping us from conceiving. Fertility blocks can exist for any couple. The way to remove them is through a personalized method of gentle preconception detoxification.*
Women in their 20s, 30s, and 40s keep coming to me for help because they aren’t getting the support they needed from their conventional physicians. Using a personalized approach to detoxification, 90% of my patients successfully conceive within 3-12 months of working with me.
Let’s get started
Whether you are currently trying to conceive, thinking about having children some day, or are feeling resigned from the struggle of navigating the current healthcare model, I am here to be your physical, mental and emotional support coach. Together we can achieve balance and support your body’s inherent fertility.
To get there, we will order personalized lab testing to investigate the cause of your concerns. You will receive a thorough treatment plan including dietary, lifestyle and perhaps supplemental therapies, as well as an idea of what to expect in the months to come.
Seeing what this approach to fertility can do, you will never hear or read the word “infertile” from me.
“Unknown infertility” will not be your story.
*Though I did not walk the path of IUI or IVF, I support all couples who do. These options were not in the cards for us for multiple reasons (cost, access, idealism). Certain diagnoses may make these procedures necessary. If that’s your position, natural fertility support can increase the likelihood of success.
I met Dr. Alicia when I was trying to get pregnant with my first child and had been trying for a year with no luck. I was diagnosed with PCOS and was told by my ob-gyn I wouldn’t be able to conceive without prescription medication. Luckily I found Dr. Alicia who is so knowledgeable about all aspects of what my body needed to get pregnant. She was so caring and helped guide me with nutrition, natural supplements, and exercise. Within 4 months I was pregnant with my beautiful healthy daughter, who’s now 5!” - Bonnie , 26
After 10 years of battling infertility and irregular periods, I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting Alicia McCubbins. In April 2013, I started the regimen recommended by Dr. McCubbins, and by the end of July I heard the words I had longed to hear for years, “you are pregnant!” My pregnancy was not an easy one and was filled with many scares, but Dr. McCubbins supported me the whole way, both physically and emotionally. I honestly feel without this holistic support, fear would have taken over, and my story may not have ended well. Instead, today I prepare to celebrate the 5th birthday of my miracle boy on April 9th.” - Emily , 37
Dr. McCubbins was extremely helpful in supporting me through my journey of having a baby. I had struggled to keep a pregnancy for several years before I started seeing her. She was recommended to me under the title of “The Baby Whisperer” and after we started working together I was able to give birth to a healthy baby boy. I appreciate that she comes with so much knowledge but also takes her time to think about what would be the best course of action for me. I would highly recommend Dr. McCubbins from Vytal Health!” - Erin , 41